The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > Document Handling Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default Copyrights, user fees, etc. - 5

From 12 O'Clock High!:

jerry brewer
so it doesn't get lost in the big thread below
Mon Nov 15, 2024 19:03

Hi
Copyright , I was working today at a major UK art gallery doing a service visit , and had the chance , whilst working in an office to ask the question on copyright.
The answer suprised me, I knew owning a photo didn't give you copyright , But did you know that owning a negative doesn't give copyright either...
Apparently it all lies with the creator of the item , painting, etc, photo, in our case.
The photographer can sell the photo as much as he likes and can even sell the negative/film/slide and copies of and still retain copyright....
Now comes the hard bit....
If the photographer was in the employment, of say for example, the RAF, then copyright belongs to the RAF, not the photographer, unless the photographer took the photograph on his own camera and did not use any of his employers facilities / time / chemicals / paper etc to produce it.
So basically unless an agreement has been made with the creator, copyright can't be claimed if you own a photo, negative, film, slide, created by him.
So there it is from a horses mouth so to speak, as they have to deal with copyright issues daily.
The parting comment was ....
unless you have written permission from the creator of the photograph etc ...
you are on very dodgy ground if you publish it ...
Cheers
Jerry

Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Threaded Mode Threaded Mode