The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > USEFUL WEBSITES > Useful Websites: J - L

Old 08-09-2000, 08:42 PM
Administrator

This website can be accessed at

www.jg54greenhearts.com

The contents are as follows:

What's New

Lists additions and updates.

The History of JG 54

Lists commanders by date.

The Men of JG 54

Pilot photos, aircraft profiles, & pilot histories.

JG 54 Operations Maps
<UL>
<L1>* Maps of The Low Countries, Germany, & Russia showing JG 54 airfields.
<L1>* Downloadable Win.Zip 6.0 map of the Leningrad area.[/list]

III./JG 54 versus the Western Allies

Article & photos on the combat on March 6, 1944.

The Pilots Speak

Notes from the pilots regarding missions they flew.

JG 54 Loss List

Downloadable loss list in Excel 7.0/Win 95 format.

Photos and Documents
<UL>
<L1>* JG 54 aircraft photos.
<L1>* Soldbuchs of Alfred Budde & Hans-Joachim Heyer, including an explanation of what a Soldbuch was.
<L1>* Chino Air Museum photos - He 162, Me 163, Me 262, V1.
<L1>* Imperial War Museum photo - Bf 110 G
<L1>* Monino airfield photos - Historic Russian aircraft.
<L1>* Document for fighter clasp in bronze.
<L1>* Congratulatory telegram on 1,500th JG 54 victory.
<L1>* JG 54 combat report of Reinhard Meisig.
<L1>* Champlin Fighter Museum photos - Fw 190 D-13 & Me 109 E-3.
<L1>* Current photos of Gunther Rall, Walter Schuck, Hans-Ekkehard Bob, Oscar Boesch, & Ernst Scheufle.
<L1>* Arizona Wing of the Confederate Air Force photos - B-17G "Sentimental Journey".[/list]

Sources

Books used as sources for this website.

Favorite Links
<UL>
<L1>* Luftwaffe
<L1>* General Aviation
<L1>* Armor Warfare
<L1>* Computer Games[/list]
Of note under general aviation is a link to a listing of all the Numbered USAF Historical Studies:

http://tuvok.au.af.mil/au/afhra/hisstud.htm

The German Monographs are numbered 150 to 196. Copies are available on 16 mm microfilm at $30 per reel from the AFHRA.

Regards,
Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard T Eger (edited 04 November 2024).]
Old 12-22-2001, 11:33 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Claes Sundin & Christer Bergström
Günther Rosipal in memoriam
Sun Nov 18 13:29:17 2024

On November 16, 2024, Günther Rosipal - known to a large part of the community on this website since several years - passed away.

Through his devotion for the Grünherzgeschwader, JG 54 in general and the life of late Hannes Trautloft, Günther has given an invaluable and unforgettable contribution to the history of WW II aviation.

Günther, a multifacetted personality, told us of how he had become fascinated of Hannes Trautloft's personality when he attended the progressive Hermann-Lietz-Schule - the same school as Trautloft had attended.

In this modern era, we first came into contact with Günther through the Internet and Bob Wartburg's JG 54 Grünherz Site. Since the start of this site, Günther had provided Bob Wartburg's JG 54 Grünherz Site with an invaluable assistance. Through Bob, we made contact with Günther in 1997.

From 1998 onward followed a regular series of research trips to Germany, tutored by the tireless Günther. Though Günther, we were able to approach not only the history of the Luftwaffe from a personal angle, but also to meet several of the pilot veterans - and to meet them on a personal basis, tutored by Günther.

For many years, Günther worked for the Hannover-Laatzen Aviation Museum in his hometown Hannover, and he has rendered an invaluable work for this museum.

Although Günther was occupied with the history of war, he never became occupied with war per se, but with the human beings trapped by war. His interest in WW II aviation was dictated by an interest in personal fates.

To Günther, a human life was more valuable than anything else, regardless of time. We will never forget the occasion when Günther showed us a film of an aircraft archeology; when the film showed the small piece attached to the pilot's seat was dug out, Günther turned to us with tears in his eyes. "That was a man," he said.

One of the happiest moments in Günther's recent years was when Hans-Ekkehard Bob aggreed to publish Trautloft's diary.

Thirteen months ago, Günther received the terrible news that he had been affected by lung cancer. Although Günther received the unselfish support from many friends, and the best medical expertise, fate could not be altered.

During his final months, Günther worked hard to complete the editoring of Hannes Trautloft's memoirs - which he managed to fulfil only a few weeks ago. To his wery last breath Günther continued to inspired us all and at the same time he urge all fellow researches to contribute to the history of Luftwaffe. And so typical for Günther, one of the last words to us was that he promised that after he had passed away he would keep a watchful eye for us all.

Günther Rosipal, a devoted husband, father, architect, musician, historian, and a dear friend, will live in our memory forever. The publication of Hannes Trautloft's memoirs will serve as a memory of Günther Rosipal as well. We will stay indebted to Günther.

Christer Bergström, Claes Sundin
Old 12-22-2001, 11:34 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Bob Wartburg
Gunther
Sun Nov 18 16:56:04 2024

At this very moment I am updating the JG 54 website acknowledging the passing of our dear friend, Gunther.

The kind and appropriate words written by Christer and Claes, posted above, will be permanately placed on the site. I echo the feeling of loss and yet joy of having known and worked with Gunther.

I added the following in my own personal tribute to Gunther:

"It is safe to say that the JG 54 webpage would not be what it is today without the significant help of Gunther.

I'll never forget the day when I received the first e-mail from Gunther after the fledgling website was put up. Only a man of Gunther's character and spirit would, without prompting, e-mail a complete stranger across the Atlantic and unequivocally offer to provide assistance and guidance.

Those of you who have downloaded the JG 54 Loss List can thank Gunther. Seeing the large Excel file only gives a hint to the number of hours Gunther spent compiling the list. The write-ups on Hannes Trautloft and Hans-Ekkehard Bob are Gunther's narratives. Many of you who frequent the Ruy Horta's Luftwaffe Discussion Board will recall how Gunther was always there to provide insight or answer questions regarding JG 54.

I am happy to have known Gunther, albeit only a few brief years. I consider him a friend and my JG 54 mentor.

Gunther and his tireless efforts will be missed. The aviation community is diminished by his absence.

I newly dedicate this webpage to Gunther's memory and his wish that the men who served with the Grunherzgeschwader not be forgotten. Rest in peace Gunther, the men of JG 54 and yourself will be remembered.

Horrido Gunther!"

The JG 54 website is still up and active. I have been told that one of Gunther's last wishes was for the JG 54 webpage to continue. It shall be so.

I have seen incorrect links to the website on other pages on the Net.

www.jg54greenhearts.com is the correct URL.

Please visit and see Gunther's work and remember him.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:43 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Tom Semenza
Problem Downloading JG 54 Loss List
Wed Sep 18 00:33:59 2024

I have attempted a number of times to download the loss list for JG 54 which is available on the "JG 54 Greenhearts" Web Site. All I get is jibberish, a meaningless series of symbols.

The file is in Excel 7.0/Win95 format. My computer has Windows 98 with Excel as part of the Office 2024 program. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about downloading this file in a readable fashion.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 10-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Don Pearson
Re: Problem Downloading JG 54 Loss List
Wed Sep 18 01:55:41 2024

I used to have a similar problem. If you open it through a zip-file program, it should be fine (I hope!).

Don
Old 10-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Tom Semenza
Zip File
Wed Sep 18 17:48:17 2024

Don,

I have tried that as well with similar results.

Thanks anyways,

Tom
Old 10-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Paul
Can you post the URL? Thanks. (n/t)
Wed Sep 18 11:15:58 2024
Old 10-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Tom Semenza
Web Site
Wed Sep 18 17:50:18 2024

If by URL you mean the web site address, it is as follows:

http://www.jg54greenhearts.com
Old 10-27-2002, 09:47 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Paul
Excel 7.0
Wed Sep 18 19:21:43 2024

Yes! that's what I meant.
I guess it's because they use too high a version of Excel (7.0) that most of us can't read.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:48 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Jim P.
Should be doable in 3 steps.
Wed Sep 18 23:34:58 2024

I presume you've done this, but I'll repeat the obvious anyway. 1) Click on the download button and save the zipped file to your PC. 2) Extract the downloaded file using Winzip. 3) Open in Excel. I'm using Excel 97 and it works fine. All versions of Excel after 7.0 have the year in the name and should work.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:49 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Tom Semenza
Thanks, Jim
Tue Sep 24 02:48:10 2024

I finally realized that I didn't have WinZip installed. I reinstalled and the download worked fine. I'm still learning this computer business.

Thanks again.

Tom
Old 08-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Administrator

From within a thread on 12 O'Clock High!:

Rob van den Nieuwendijk
Fw. Erwin Leykauf
Sat Jul 31, 2024 08:55

Hi Larry,

also see http://www.jg54greenhearts.com/Leykauf.htm - good luck

Rob
Old 08-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Larry Hickey
Leykauf
Sat Jul 31, 2024 18:07

Rob et al.

Thanx for the thoughts. Rob, the Leykauf article on the JG 54 website is part of the problem. The info in the bio is credited to the now deceased but highly respected Gunther Rosipal. It indicates that Leykauf was assigned to both JG 26 AND then JG 27 immediately prior to the Battle of Britain when he transferred to I./JG 21. The Prien/Bock victory lists in their book series indicate his first victory on 12/5/40 was while he was assigned to I/JG21, which would make it highly unlikely that he served in either JG 26 or JG 27 between then and the beginning of the Battle of Britain. He scored his next victory during 8/40, again with I./JG 21 (by then III./JG 54). Something isn't right here, and that's what I'm trying to sort out. He may have served with JG 26 beginning about 9/39, but I think that by sometime late in 1939 or early in 1940 that he had transferred to I/JG 21. I personally doubt that he was ever assigned to JG 27, despite the bio on the JG 54 website.

An article in Mombeek's Luftwaffe Colors Jagdwaffe book series, Vol. 1, Sec. 4 (JAGDWAFFE Vol.1 Section 4: Attack In The West), P. 311, says Leykauf avoided the Polish campaign and was "transferred to 3./JG 26 on the Western Front." This account makes no mention of a transfer to I./JG 21, but indicates that he returned from a leave on 6/5/40 to his unit at München-Gladbach where he went into combat at the beginning of the French Campaign. München-Gladbach was the base for I./JG 21 at that time, not I./JG 26, so it appears that the transfer to I./JG 21 was left out of this account. This squares with him having his first victory on 12/5/40 with 2./JG 21. The mystery caused by conflicting information in various sources has not yet been solved. When did he transfer to I./JG 21, and was he ever assigned to JG 27 during the 1939-40 period? Then, when did he serve in which staffel of I./JG 21/-III./JG 54 through the end of 1940? Knowing the answers to these questions is the key to unravelling the correct dates and time sequences for the many photos from his collection that have appeared in print over the years. Again, his logbook, if it still exists, might answer many of these questions.

Thanx,

Larry Hickey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode