The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > ARCHIVAL INFORMATION > Archives in Japan

Old 12-31-2000, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Okay, I have to admit a bias. Being interested in the advanced German aircraft of WW II, I have developed a similar interest in the jet and rocket types of Japan. I guess I can say that the J8M1 comes from the Me 163 and the Ki-201 from the Me 262. But, then we have the Kikka, Baka, and Ohka, getting us slowly afield from German designs. So, please simply humor me this interesting departure from all things Luftwaffe.

Regards,
Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard T Eger (edited 30 December 2024).]
Old 12-31-2000, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Rod Larson has created the WarBirds Photo website with some excellent coverage of Japanese aircraft from WW II. His website address is:

http://www.warbirdpix.com/

Rod has visited the Yasakuni Shrine in Ichigaya, a suburb of Tokyo. Here they have an example of the MXY7 Ohka Cherry Blossom Bomb. Rod has provided 17 excellent color photos of this aircraft.

Regards,
Richard

Old 04-19-2001, 08:08 PM
Administrator

The superb site Hikoki: 46, by Edwin M. Dyer, III, is subtitled Experimental Jet, Rocket, & Prop Aircraft of the I.J.N. & I.J.A.. It covers in great depth the exotic and advanced aircraft Japan sought to field in the waning weeks of the war. I have to admit I bias toward an interest in these aircraft. Some have roots in German designs, while others were purely of Japanese origin.

The introductory page to the site is:

http://www.pelzigplatz.f2s.com/main.html

However, it is best to go to the index page (which contains the same introductory remarks) to actually get access to the site, itself, either at:

http://www.pelzigplatz.f2s.com/

or:

http://www.pelzigplatz.f2s.com/

Again, I'm going to be selective in commenting only on those non-piston engined aircraft of Japanese origin or any Luftwaffe aircraft that Ed has on his site. He has much more than this, for those that are interested. I have, at least listed them. With that caveat, the sections are:

Navy Aircraft

<U>Kawanishi Baika</U> - With heritage from the piloted German V-1, the Fi 103, an excellent history of both plus the mention of the Me 328 is given, along with photos and color profiles.

<U>Mitsubishi J8M Shusui</U> - Closely based on the Me 163, a cross history of the two aircraft are given along with photos. There are 5 color photos of the Shusui in the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA, and a link to 4 excellent color computer graphic renditions of the Shusui. A second Shusui was found in a cave in Japan and there is a link to an article about this with 6 color photos and a drawing.

<U>Mizuno Shinryu</U> - A rocket powered special attack glider. The functional purpose of the rockets seems in doubt. Ed has provided an interesting article on this enigmatic aircraft, whose mission seems similar to other powered, manned bombs. Color drawings and a 4-view plan are provided.

<U>Nakajima Kikka</U> - Having a similar configuration to the Me 262, this aircraft is only loosely related to it. Ed presents an interesting interweaving tale of the history of the two aircraft. Two color drawings, 9 b&w photos, 1 3-view drawing, and 1 table cross comparing with the Me 262. There are also 1 color photo of a Kikka and 2 of its Ne 20 engine at the NASM Garber Facility in Silver Hill, MD. A link to another related site is provided.

<U>Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka Model 22, Model 33, Model 43 series, and Model 53</U> - Article on a series of manned, powered bombs. Eight b&w photos; side view line drawings of Models 11, 22, & 43 K-1 KAI, 3-view line & color drawings of Model 22; 1 color profile of Model 43 K-1 KAI; and table of specifications of Models 22 & 43B. Link to related website.

Propeller driven aircraft covered are:

Kyushu J7W Shinden
Mitsubishi J4M1 Senden
Nakajima G10N1 Fugaku
Yokosuka R2Y Keiun

Army Aircraft

<U>Nakajima Ki-201 Karyu</U> - Very close approximation to the Me 262. Article with 1 color drawing, 1 b&w profile, 1 3-view line drawing, 1 fictionalized license-built Me 262 color profile, and table cross comparing Me 262, Kikka, and Ki-201.

<U>Rikugun Ki-202 Shusui-Kai</U> - Article on the Army's version of the Me 163. Three-view line drawing and table cross comparing the Me 163, J8M1, and Ki-202.

Propeller driven aircraft covered are:

Kawasaki Ki-64
Kawasaki Ki-78
Kawasaki Ki-91
Mansyu Ki-98
Mitsubishi Ki-67 Hiryu Variants ( Ki-67-I KAI, Ki-67 Sakura-dan, Ki-67 long range ground attacker, Ki-109 )
Mitsubishi Ki-73
Tachikawa Ki-94
Ki-115 Tsurugi
Rikugun Ki-93

Other Aircraft

<U>Junkers Ju488</U> - Article with isometric and 3-view line drawing. Japanese connection was that license was offered to the Japanese, but rejected.

<U>Focke-Wulf Ta 152</U>
Old 08-13-2001, 05:04 PM
Administrator

The Walter Website, by Shamus Reddin, covers the rocket motors produced by Walter and the missiles and aircraft they were used in. The site address is:

http://website.lineone.net/~skr/walter/walter.htm

Sections of interest are:

Hellmuth Walter and Walterwerke - Brief company background, with additional information on:

<U>Hellmuth Walter</U> - Background on Walter and his company, with photos.

<U>What's New</U> - Site update information.

<U>About the Walter Web Site</U>

<U>Acknowledgemants</U>

<U>References</U> - Includes references to RAE Technotes at the P.R.O. in London.

Aircraft Motors & The Me.163

<U>109-509 Rocket Motors</U> - Table listing motors and the aircraft they were used in. The title of this section is misleading, as these motors were used in the Me 163 as well as in other aircraft. Details, including text, photos, and diagrams of the engines and aircraft they were used in are presented.

Some repeated and some new details can be found in the following additional sub-sections:

<U>Messerschmitt Me.163A</U>

<U>Messerschmitt Me.163B</U>

<U>Dual Chambered Motors</U>

<U>Messerschmitt Me.163C</U>

<U>Messerschmitt Me.163D</U>

<U>Bachem Ba.349 "Natter"</U>

Missiles & Rockets - This section shows the major weapons for which Walter motors were used or developed. Four missiles/aircraft are listed:

Henshel Hs.293
Messerschmitt "Enzian"
Henshel Hs.117 "Schmetterling"
Bachem Ba.349 "Natter"

Of these, details are given for the Enzian and Natter, that for the Natter being repeated from the previous section.

Climb Assisters - The following 5 assisters are listed, but only generalized information on assisters is given:

RI-201 "Cold" Take Off Pack
RI-203 "Hot" Take Off Pack
Me.109 Climb Assister
Heimatschutzer I
Heimatschutzer IV

Motor Parts & Design - In this section, the design, construction and operation of the Walter motors is described.

<U>109-509 Motor Types</U> - Repeat of earlier table.

<U>Basic Motor Parts</U> - Nicely illustrated sub-section highlighting the different motor parts.

<U>109-509 Rocket Fuels</U> - Discusses C- and T-Stoff and the chemistry involved.

<U>Other Rocket Fuels</U> - Table describing different rocket fuels.

<U>Motor Operation</U> - Details, with photos, describing the operation of the Walter 109-509.A-1 motor in the Me 163.

There is also a link to a 3-view drawing of a Walter HWK 109-509.A-2 rocket motor which allows the reader to place the computer cursor on different parts of the engine and get a description of each part.

Preserved Motors - Table of preserved Walter rocket motors in museums around the world. Motors can be found in:

Australia
Canada
Germany
Japan
UK
USA

Background and photos are provided for many of the motors.

Regards,
Richard
Old 04-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Administrator

The Japanese oriented website J-Aircraft.com, by Jim Lansdale, Jim Long, Bill Sanborn, Jim Eyerdom, Grant Goodale, Gary Barling, & Art Buckland-Pinnock can be found at:

http://www.j-aircraft.com/

I include it here on LWAG because it has information on German aircraft that made it to Japan and what information it has on jet and rocket aircraft because of the close familiality with German developments.

Sections of interest are:

Research

The Library - Charles Metz has prepared an extensive bibliography. Here are 3 selected works from his list:

Berliner: 'World War Two Jet Fighters' (Kalmbach [USA], 1982; 72 pages; approximate value US$15 [out of print])

Mikesh: 'Kikka' (Monogram Close-Up series, No. 19; Monogram Aviation Publications [USA], 1979; 32 pages; approximate value US$20 [out of print])
------: 'Experimental Twin Engine Fighters Ki-83, Ki-96, Ki-102, and Ki-108' (Famous Airplanes of the World (1) series, No. 94; Bunrin-Do [Japan], 1978; in Japanese; 66 pages; approximate value US$5 [out of print])

Message Boards

Ed West on 12 O'Clock High! provided the following lead:

"Ed West
Photo Japanese a/c similar to Me 163
Sun Apr 11, 2024 05:01

http://www.j-aircraft.org/bbs/genera....pl?read=14341

Enjoy,
Ed"

Oddly, in running through several forums and using the search engine, this was about the only entry on jet and rocket aircraft I could get to come up.

Real Aircraft Photos

Walkarounds

J8M1 Shusui - Planes of Fame - 3 photos
J8M1 Shusui - J8M1/403 - 9 photos
Kikka - NASM/Garber - 4 photos
Ohka - Various - 9 photos
Ohka - Cosford Museum - 47 photos
MXY7 Ohka - Various - 13 photos
MXY7 Ohka - Yasakuni - 9 photos
MXY7-K1 Ohka - Air Force Museum - 20 photos

Book Reviews

Black Crosses And Red Stars - 1 review
Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1941-1945 - 2 reviews

Satellite Sites

Hikoki: 1946 - See the topic "Hikoki: 1946, by Edwin M. Dyer, III" on the "Useful Websites" forums for a description of this satellite site.

Captured J-Aircraft

Captured Message Board - Commentaries on Me 109, Fw 190, He 162, & Me 210

Tested by

Me 109

Regards,
Richard
Old 05-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Administrator

The AXLs Plane Gallery website, by Alex Postma, contains a very large collection of Axis aircraft photos, some vintage and some of preserved aircraft. The site address is:

http://www.studenten.net/customasp/axl/index.asp

The section of interest is:

WWII Axis - photos

Bf 108 - 12 color, 4 b&w

- Includes A/C at Kalamazoo Air Zoo, Kalamazoo, MI, U.S.A.; Musee Royal de l'Armee, Brussels, Belgium; Ex N108H, OO-NET, New Zealand; Germany; Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin Stiftung, Germany; Imperial War Museum, London, England

Bf 109 - 26 color, 8 b&w

- Includes A/C at RAFM Hendon, England; German Air Force Museum, Germany; Finnish AF Museum, Tikkakoski, Finland; USAFM, Dayton, OH, U.S.A.; IWM, Duxford, England; NASM, Washington D.C., U.S.A.; Planes of Fame, California, U.S.A.; Fundacja Polskie Orly, wnr 163306, Poland; Bf 109G-10 W.Nr. 151591, EADS, Messerschmitt Foundation, Germany

Bf 110 - 8 color, 11 b&w

Me 163 - 10 color, 15 b&w

- Includes A/C at RAFM Cosford, England; Luftwaffe Museum, Gatow, Germany; IWM, Duxford, England.

Me 262 - 12 color, 22 b&w

- Includes A/C at Deutches Museum, Munich, Germany; NASM, Washington D.C.; U.S.A.; Vojenske Muzeum, Kbely AB, Czech Republic; South African National Museum of Military History; South Africa.

Me 323 - 6 color, 14 b&w

Me 410 - 7 color, 6 b&w

- Includes A/C at RAFM Cosford, England

Messerschmitt P.1101 - 7 b&w

Ta 152 - 8 b&w

Ta 154 - 6 b&w

Fw 187 - 1 color, 8 b&w

Fw 189 - 3 color, 27 b&w

Fw 190 - 12 color, 29 b&w

- Includes A/C at USAFM, Dayton, OH, U.S.A.; RAFM Hendon, England

Fw 200 - 3 color, 19 b&w

Ju 52 - 2 color, 8 b&w

Ju 87 - 8 color, 29 b&w

- Includes A/C at RAFM Hendon, England

Ju 88 - 4 color, 8 b&w

-Includes A/C at RAFM Hendon, England

Ju 287 - 9 b&w

Ju 290 - 9 b&w

Ju 388 - 2 color, 11 b&w

Ju 390 - 4 b&w

Do 17 - 2 color, 11 b&w

Do 18 - 1 color, 8 b&w

Do 24 - 2 color, 11 b&w

- Includes A/C at Militaire Luchvaart Museum, Kamp Van Zeist, Netherlands

Do 26 - 2 color, 7 b&w

Do 215 - 7 b&w

Do 217 - 1 color, 17 b&w

Do 335 - 3 color, 13 b&w

- Includes A/C at NASM Garber, Silver Hill, MD, U.S.A.

Do J Wal - 1 color, 8 b&w

- Includes A/C at Technical Museum, Lujan, Argentina

He 59 - 1 color, 11 b&w

He 100 - 1 color, 4 b&w

He 111 - 8 color, 30 b&w

- Includes A/C at RAFM Hendon, England; Confederate Air Force, Midland TX, U.S.A. (crashed and destroyedon 10 July 2024); Norwegian Aviation Museum, Norway

He 111Z - 9 b&w

He 112 - 1 color, 11 b&w

He 114 - 6 b&w

He 115 - 4 color, 9 b&w

He 177 - 2 color, 11 b&w (possibly 1 of these is in color)

He 162 - 4 color, 11 b&w

- Includes A/C at Planes of Fame California, U.S.A.; IWM, London, England; Le Bourget Paris, France; RAFM Hendon, England

He 219 - 2 color, 6 b&w

He 280 - 8 b&w

Hs 123 - 1 color, 10 b&w

Hs 129 - 1 color, 8 b&w

Bv 138 - 2 color, 16 b&w

Bv 141 - 11 b&w

Bv 222 - 17 b&w

Bv 238 - 6 b&w

Fi 103 - 1 color

- Missile at Historisch-Technisches Informationszentrum, Peenemünde, Germany (replica containing original parts)

Fi 104R - 6 b&w

Fi 156 - 27 color, 11 b&w

- Includes A/C at CAF Texas, U.S.A.; USAFM, Dayton, OH, U.S.A.; Swiss Air Force Museum, Switzerland; Luftwaffe Museum, Gatow, Berlin, Germany; Fi 156 W.Nr. 475309, Kermit Weeks, Florida, U.S.A.; Flygvapenmuseum, Linköping, Sweden.

Ar 196 - 5 color, 11 b&w

- Includes A/C at NASM Garber, Silver Hill, MD, U.S.A.

Ar 232 - 9 b&w

Ar 234 - 4 color, 11 b&w

- Includes one A/C variously at NASM, Garber, Silver Hill, MD, U.S.A.; NASM, Washington, D.C., U.S.A.; NASM, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, VA, U.S.A. (current A/C location).

Ar 240 - 8 b&w

Ba 349 - 5 color, 12 b&w

- Includes A/C at NASM, Garber, Silver Hill, MD, U.S.A.

Caproni Campini CC.1 - 7 color, 4 b&w

- Includes A/C at the Italian Air Force Museum, Vigna di Valle, Rome, Italy

HA-1112-M1L (Spanish-built Bf 109) - 15 color

- Includes A/C at Planes of Fame, Chino, CA, U.S.A.; Fighter Factory, Suffolk, VA, U.S.A.; National Aviation Air Museum, ONT, Canada, on loan to Western Canada Aviation Museum, Canada; OFMC, Duxford, England, crashed on 25 Sept. 1999 in Spain; Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum, Kalamazoo, MI, U.S.A.

Mitsubishi J8M1 Shusui - 5 color, 4 b&w

- Includes A/C at Planes of Fame, Chino, CA, U.S.A.; Mitsubishi Heavy Industry, Nagoya, Japan

Nakajima Kikka - 9 b&w

Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka - Baka - 6 color, 12 b&w

- Includes A/C at RAFM Cosford, England

My thanks go to Mikael Olrog who helped with identifying the locations of the preserved Axis aircraft.

Regards,
Richard

Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode