The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > Airfields & Mapping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2000, 07:44 PM

I have been looking for any information on a little known Luftwaffe airfield near Hanau, Germany. I have come to find out that the compound may have been called Langenselbold (after the small town it is located near). It is now just outside of Erlensee, a town which apparently did not exist in WW2. There are apparently some underground bunkers there under the airfield which, now filled with water, at one time housed aircraft. There is a printed local history in the U.S. forces library in Hanau, which states that in1979, a 2-1/2 ton truck fell through the street and uncovered a network of tunnels, equipment for pumping water on and off the airfield for concealment, and 3 underground bunkers on the airfield which contained aircraft parts and a lot of water. I am looking for any information on the airfield, the units stationed there in WW2, and where I might find any info on the underground facilities. Thanks--soldier20@hotmail.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Switch to Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Threaded Mode