The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > ARCHIVAL INFORMATION > Archives in Northwestern Europe

Archives in Northwestern Europe Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg

Old 06-29-2000, 02:50 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'clock High!:

David Buckle
Wanted: Ground Crew Info
Fri Jun 16 20:38:17 2024

While there seems to be large amounts of information available about the ground forces and flying units I would like to know what units were required to keep these
going.
I have seen mention of Airfield Construction Units. I assume there were transport and supply units in abundance. Maintenance staff must have kept the aircraft going,
and someone must have turned out to protect the runways.

Any info would help - particularly references as to where I might start to find things

Thanks

David
Old 06-29-2000, 02:52 PM
Administrator

From TOH!:

Paul Kamps
Ground crew
Sat Jun 24 21:06:57 2024

I see that I am not the only one who concludes that the glamourboys in planes get more than their share from the limelight, while the hardworking grondcrew and all
other grond staff are largely forgotten. I saw this problem when I was working on German defense works in the Netherlands, anyone can give you all information on all
operational units, but cannot tell you which ground units were working were.
There are several ways to solve this proble. For The RAF you may go to the Public reccord office at kew, Ruskin Avenue. The do have some RAF publications on what
was in the field, but you have to search by yourselve.
For American units you should probably have to contact the National Archives in Washinton, the will have the same sort of papers. Or try Craven and cate, the official
history of the USAAF in world war II.
For the Germans it is a little bit difficult, it is not exactly known what was based were. The book of Kannapin, die deutsche Feldpostubersicht, Biblioverlag,
Osnabruck, 1982, gives an enormous number of units, but in most ocasions without locations, so you have to do some research in local archives. In many an archive
there are papers on requisitions by the German Wehrmacht, although in a place with several headquarters, they had thrown it all away. This is a painstaking work, but
rewarding.
Here in the Netherlands you can also do some research in the archives of the Army historical Section Alexanderkazerne in 's-Gravenhage (The Hague), or at the
Netherlands institute of War Documentation (NIOD), Herengracht 380, Amsterdam, who both have archives of former resistance groups in which some mentioning is of
grond units.
I am working on this subject, but it will take some time, as you have to travel around. Lots of luck
Old 12-21-2000, 08:10 PM
Administrator

The following comes from Jaap Woortman:

"Here (is) the file from the Dutch Institute NIOD. Until now it is partly in Dutch, German and English but I will replace the Dutch words as soon as possible in English. I will leave the original names in their own language. Detailed information will soon be available for some important parts of the collection."

The file mentioned is a listing of the holdings at NIOD, The Dutch Institute for War Documentation. The file has been posted to our server at:

http://lwag.org/reference/niod002.PDF

The above is the latest (29 Dec. 2024) revision of this list from Jaap.

You will need Arcobat Reader to access this document. If you don't have this, it can be downloaded for free from:

http://www.adobe.com

Thanks for your hard work, Jaap.

Regards,
Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard T Eger (edited 31 December 2024).]
Old 03-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Administrator

From 12 O'Clock High!:

Robert Reid
KG 30
Thu Mar 7 00:36:40 2024

I posted before regarding KG 30 crash in Holland 9 Jan 41.

Got several replies from Holland during Aug/Sept but had very late reply several weeks ago, had email meltdown and lost 100 or so emails including reply that was from researcher who had KG 30 information specific to my interest, from Germany.
Anyone who might recall emailing me about this could they please get in contact with me.
Also have been trying to narrow down the RAF nightfighter that shot Ju 88 down at Etten.
I haven't had much luck, with specific unit identity, any ideas.

Thanks Robert

And yes I should have backed up my files
Old 03-31-2002, 07:45 PM
Administrator

From TOCH!:

Paul Kamps
KG 30
Fri Mar 8 20:16:12 2024

During research in the archive of the Netherlands Institute of War Documentation and other archives I have found KG 30 at Schiphol Airport, Gilze Rijen and Eindhoven.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode