The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group  

Go Back   The Luftwaffe Archives & Records Reference Group > NAMED AREAS OF INTEREST > Luftwaffe Units & Operations

Old 09-07-2011, 02:04 AM

Default Flak-Regiment 59, 1.Flak-Brigade

I have been doing research on my grandfather. The WASt was able to provide some info, that has really peaked my interest.
His identity disc shows -330-3./Flak Ers.Abt.26. I translated this into meaning 3rd Battery of the 26th anti-aircraft replacement battalion, which according to his record was posted in Barth, Pomerania. Here comes the interseting part, my mother recalls as a little girl that he was also stationed in Paris, and he had told her that his job entailed him being on the top of a building shooting at enemy airplanes. According to some war time pictures I'm assuming that he was part of a 20mm gun crew.
His record also shows that when he was captured in the Saar Region in an area called Schwalbach, that he was associated with Flak-Regiment 59, 1.Flak-Brigade.
According to Michael Holmes website the 1.Flak-Brigade withdrew from Paris to Meux on 8.44 and then on 9.44 to Trier which would put him slightly S.E. of that location.
Although the area was under the control of Armee Gruppe G, I can find no Flak units in the Orders of Battle from 19.4.45. Also does anyone know the length of traing for a gun crew and how he would have ended up in Paris from Barth.
Any additional help would be greatly apprreciated or maybe you could steer me in the right direction for more online research.

Tags
captured german soldiers, flak units, unit histories

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Switch to Linear Mode
Hybrid Mode Hybrid Mode
Threaded Mode Switch to Threaded Mode